Manchester Victoria police officers 'threw themselves at knifeman without hesitation'


Brave police officers instantly ran to the scene before 'jumping' on the suspect and pinning him down, witnesses say

"Hero" police officers hurled themselves at the Manchester Victoria station stabbing  suspect without hesitation, witnesses say.

Cops instantly ran to the scene as commuters heard a "bloodcurdling scream" and a man was allegedly spotted with a 12-inch knife.

Determined to protect the public, officers reportedly used a Taser and pepper spray before "six or seven" of them 'jumped' on the man. They are then said to have held him down on the ground.

One shocked witness, called Bekky, told Mirror Online last night:

"I’m in awe of the BTP (British Transport Police) , as soon as I heard the screaming they were running to the scene to protect everyone.

"They are heroes."

Another witness, Sam Clack, described how police 'came towards' the suspect, who allegedly made a chilling threat about further attacks.

"At one point one of the police officers fired the Taser but it missed him," recalled Mr Clack, who had been waiting for a tram home.

"Then he got pepper sprayed and Tasered and he went to the ground.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) earlier said the woman suffered injuries to her face and abdomen, while the man sustained injuries to his abdomen. Their wounds were not thought to be life-threatening.

The BTP officer, who is in his 30s and was stabbed in the shoulder, has since been released from hospital, according to the force.

A GMP spokesman said: "The police sergeant... was taken to hospital with a stab wound to his shoulder following the attack at the station.

"Within minutes, a man was arrested near to Metrolink platforms A and B on suspicion of attempted murder."

Counter-terror police were today continuing to question a man accused of carrying out the stabbing at around 9pm.

The suspect is being held on suspicion of attempted murder.

The suspect, described as "skittish", is accused of knifing two members of the public and a BTP officer at the station on New Year's Eve.

A Snapchat video appeared to show him shouting "Allahu Akbar", meaning "God is most great", as he was surrounded by police.

Two commuters - a man and woman in their 50s - were taken to hospital with knife injuries in a "serious condition".

Officers from Counter Terrorism Policing are leading the investigation with support from GMP, BTP and other agencies.

Today, Chief Inspector David Rams, of BTP, tweeted: "Hugely proud of my team in relation to the Victoria incident. 

"Completely overwhelmed with the level of support for the officer. I will ensure the messages are all passed on.

"Thanks for your continued support

The busy station is situated next to Manchester Arena, where suicide bomber Salman Abedi killed 22 people on May 22.

There is no suggestion the two incidents are linked.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts said: "(Last night's) events will have understandably worried people but I need to stress that the incident is not ongoing, a man is in custody and there is currently no intelligence to suggest that there is any wider threat at this time."

Mr Clack, a BBC producer, was on a platform at the station, waiting for his tram, when he "heard this most blood-curdling scream".

The 38-year-old witness said: "What it looked like was a guy in his 60s with a woman of similar age and another guy all dressed in black.

"It looked like they were having a fight but she was screaming in this blood-curdling way. I saw police in high-vis come towards him."

He claimed: "He came towards me. I looked down and saw he had a kitchen knife with a black handle with a good 12-inch blade.

"It was just fear, pure fear."

Mr Clack said it looked like both the man in his 60s and the woman with him had been stabbed, but both were conscious.

The pair were reportedly walked to a waiting ambulance.

He also claimed he heard the suspect shouting "Allah", saying: "He shouted it before [the attack], he shouted it during it - Allah."

As police appeared "within seconds", the alleged knifeman backed down the platform towards where he was standing alone.

Mr Clack described how he feared the man would attack him.

"I just had a feeling in the pit of my stomach," he said.

"Here's a man who's very agitated, angry, skittish.

"It appears he had already attacked someone. He had police coming towards him and he's coming towards me.

"I thought what I need to do is jump on to the tracks because next thing he's going to do is turn around and stab me.

"He's looking about, side to side and jumpy."

He added: "It was scary. I have never been so scared in my life.

"Someone with a knife six to eight feet away, he had just stabbed someone. It was the proximity.

"It just highlights the fact that it can happen anywhere.

"It's just a guy with a knife on a platform. It can happen anywhere. Anyone can do it."

Bekky also described hearing a  scream

She told us last night: "I heard the most bloodcurdling scream I’ve ever heard and turned to see everyone running towards me.

"Some guy told me to run.

"'Keep running' was all he kept saying - 'just keep running'.

"I jumped off the tram track and started to run down the tram lines and hid behind some concrete slabs under one of the arches."

She added: "I had no idea what had happened at this point, I was just really scared, I didn’t know if I was going to die."


Taser ‘crucial’ in protecting officers from assaul...

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Thursday, 09 July 2020

Captcha Image

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to